2020 Voyage First Chapters Contest
Voyage wants to see those first chapters of your Young Adult novels! One of the most difficult challenges in writing a book is getting that first chapter just right—and we’re aiming to challenge you. Can you write a first chapter that captivates your audience enough to make them want to keep reading? If the answer is yes, then send it to us.
The 1st Place winner will receive $3000 and an hour-long consultation with with Literary Agent, Eric Smith of P.S Literary Agency.
2nd Place will receive $300 and publication, and 3rd place $200 and publication.
- Voyage submissions are open to all writers working in English
- International submissions are allowed
- Submissions must be the first chapter of a Young Adult novel (full novel does not need to be completed), and from the point-of-view of a young adult
- The chapter doesn’t have to be standalone
- 5,000-word count maximum
- We’re open to any genre or style you can throw at us—just send us the best you’ve got
- Previously unpublished work only please
- Simultaneous submissions are fine—just notify and withdraw your entry if it’s picked up by someone else
- $20 reading fee per entry
- Multiple submissions are okay—please submit each as a separate submission
- Every entry will be considered for our regular publications as well
- Please: 1) double space; 2) use Times New Roman 12 pt font; 3) have 1-inch margins, and 4) put your last name and the page number in the top right-hand corner
- Tell us in a brief cover letter your publication history (if applicable, no worries if not)