Please Note: This contest is now closed! Thank you to everyone that submitted! Check back in March 2021 when Winners will be announced!
1st Place: Leslie Vedder for Phoenix from the Acid
2nd Place: Amanda Thomas for Sew Your Desire
Here at Voyage, we’re huge fans of short form fiction. What we don’t see enough of, is short fiction in the YA category. So, we’re hosting a contest! Can you tell us a good YA story in 5,000 words or less? Send us your best YA contemporary, romance, fantasy, science fiction, genre-bender, and more! We read widely in YA, and we’re simply looking for a well-told story.
Submissions are open from September 18 to December 1, 2020.
Guest judge, Natalia Sylvester, will choose three stories from a shortlist.
The 1st Place winner will receive $3000 and an hour-long consultation with Literary Agent Saritza Hernandez of Andrea Brown Literary Agency.
2nd Place will receive $300 and publication, and 3rd place $200 and publication.
Finalists will also receive written feedback from Literary Agent Saritza Hernandez.
Bonus: Every entrant will receive access to a pre-recorded mini workshop on writing a synopsis with Editor and Literary Agent Kaitlyn Johnson at Belcastro Agency!
- Voyage submissions are open to all writers working in English
- International submissions are allowed
- Submission must be an original short story that would be categorized as young adult fiction (from the point-of-view of a young adult, meaning through the lens of a teen protagonist)
- 5,000-word count maximum
- We’re open to any genre or style you can throw at us—just send us the best you’ve got
- Previously unpublished work only please
- Simultaneous submissions are fine—just notify and withdraw your entry if it’s picked up by someone else
- $20 reading fee per entry
- Multiple submissions are okay—please submit each as a separate submission
- Every entry will be considered for our regular publications as well
- Please: 1) double space; 2) use Times New Roman 12 pt font; 3) have 1-inch margins, and 4) put your last name and the page number in the top right-hand corner
- Tell us in a brief cover letter your publication history (if applicable, no worries if not), along with any relevant information about your writing career
- For reference, some of our favorite YA short collections include: Fresh Ink edited by Lamar Giles, Welcome Home edited by Eric Smith, Our Stories, Our Voices edited by Amy Reed; Three Sides of a Heart edited by Natalie C. Parker; Because You Love to Hate Me edited by Amerie; Meet Cute and Summer Days and Summer Nights/My True Love Gave to Me both edited by Stephanie Perkins.